Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Overcoming Obstacles!!!

Wow, last night I felt like an alcoholic passing by the bar. I went to work, for the first time in a while, (which I love), and I used to frequently stop by Costa Vida on my way home from work and grab their fabulous Shredded Beef Burrito (of course SMOTHERED). So, I was going to avoid going past it and go another way home, but I ended up driving by it. I just have to say, it was very painful. My brain kept telling me all types of excuses and reasons why I should get that burrito. It really is just too fabulous for words. (Isn't it frightening how much I love food? Writing about it makes you aware of how bad it really is!) Anyway, I was worried that my hands might just take over and drive into the Costa Vida. But, with much regret and sadness, I drove right on by. It only took 10 minutes of regret, before the regret gave way to feelings of happiness. Then I felt so relieved I hadn't made that huge mistake!!! It felt really good to use some old-fashioned self-control. I didn't know if I had that much self-control in me, but it felt good to see that it is still alive and well--Well, maybe it isn't well, but it is alive!

The good part, is I am learning to be better with my food choices. I have realized, I can probably eat some Costa Vida, if I don't eat much else the rest of the day, or if I use that for my 35 extra points for WW that week. So, maybe next week I can get some if I plan ahead and am not making an impulsive food decision. It scares me how much of my thinking goes toward food. I am hoping to build on good choices and do better and better. I have so many struggles with food. I am hoping the day will come when it will not be so difficult. Unfortunately, I think I have this struggle for life!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

What an awesome victory! Hooray for you! I, too, am trying to eat better on a consistent basis so that the occasional treat isn't such a big deal. It's HARD!

Amy said...

From one foodie to another...I feel your pain when you describe passing by your beloved burrito!

Good news for me: I have found I can enjoy the salad version of the pork burrito from Chipotle just as much! (tons less points)

Amy Mason said...

Sigh. . . but here's to keepin' on keepin' on!